Wednesday, March 24, 2010

This one goes out to all the ladies..

 Hey kiddies! So I know that Desi is usually the one on here giving some narration to our crazy lives, but after finishing up South by, I felt compelled to post. Austin was absolutely insane! My trip down south started off sort of up in the air. Long story short, all of my plans buckled at the last minute (hours before my flight to be exact) leaving me freaking out in NY and potentially homeless in Austin. I've been in this situation before (i.e. Buenos Aires) so I knew I would be able to work it out. After exhausting all of my Austin connections and networks, my friend Lauren (who is probably the nicest person you will ever meet) was able to hook me up with one of her dear friends, Mallory. The house is actually owned by Maury, I believe, and that dude is the raddest person I've ever met. He has an extensive collection of pattern socks AND brews his own beer,case in point, check out the kegerator sitting in the kitchen below (the stout was super-delicious btw).


When I walked in the door these kids were chillin out, relaxing all cool, so I got to hang with them for most of sxsw. I ran into these suckas, and a whole bunch of other people who know people that I know in Brooklyn. Anywho, the whole point of this post is not to make you all super jealous, but to actually write about why I went to South by in the first place..for the music, duh! I saw over 20 free shows (most of them at Cheer Up Charlie's aka Ms. Bea's). 


After jumping around from venue to venue, gig after gig, I found a positively common theme arise: the girls were absolutely killing it! It was so nice to see girl bands and girl leads fuckin rippin it on stage, being sexy without having to be, and musically putting the boys to shame. I loved every minute of it!  Best Coast, These are Powers, Vivian Girls, Dum Dum Girls and Chew Lips all delivered. My favorite, by far, has to be Warpaint. I adore these girls. Even with shitty sound problems they still worked it out and delivered one of the best shows I've been to in ages. The haunting harmonies were on point, and man o man do those girls know how to master their instruments! I've been obsessed ever since 'Elephants' dropped, and was beyond ecstatic to find out that they would be playing sxsw. check it:

x yani


1 comment:

  1. yay yani! why didn't you tell me about this blog? ex is obsessed with vivian girls and chew lips? jealous times a billion x

    ReplyDelete